File-based commenting enables teams to communicate and collaborate at a deeper level. In this article we will show you how to navigate and utilize file commenting to enhance your experience with Ci and add value to your productions:
Open file preview
Workspace members can enter comments directly on files by opening the file in asset preview mode. To open the file for preview, the user can either right-click on the file and select Preview or select the View icon from the blue action bar. You can also simply double-click on a file:
Figure 1: Opening file preview
Navigate to Comment section
From the preview, open the context panel by clicking the icon near the upper-right corner of the player. Right above File activity select the Comments tab:
Figure 2: Navigate to Comment section
- To leave a comment start typing in the comment box. To submit the comment you can either press enter on the keyboard or select the icon.
- All Workspace members can view, reply and follow comments. Members who write or follow comments on a file will receive email notifications when there are new comments or replies. To opt into following comments select the icon. Alternatively, to opt out select the bell icon to unfollow the comments.
- Comments made on video files are tied to the time-code
- Workspace members can mark comments as resolved and hide or unhide resolved comments. To mark a comment as resolved select the icon. Alternatively select this icon to unresolve comment.
- Clicking comments will jump the playhead to the timestamp where the comment was made.
Figure 3: Making comments
- Users can edit or delete comments by clicking the icon.
Figure 4: Edit / Delete comments
Time-range commenting is available for video and audio files. To create a time-range comment, create a comment and before publishing, select the icon located below the timeline. Click-and-drag the right handle to adjust the length of the comment . After the time-range is specified, publish the comment. While a time-range comment is selected, the playhead will jump to the beginning of the comment ready for playback. When the playhead reaches the end of the comment, playback will pause.
- Please note that the duration/range for a comment can only be edited while the comment is being made. After the comment is published, the comment itself can be edited/updated, but the duration/range will remain the same.
Figure 5: Time-range comment playback
VideoReview and ImageReview are still there to allow users to have conversations that need a bit more discretion and for when you want to collaborate with people outside of your Workspace. For more information on how to use VideoReview, please visit our help desk article How to Review & Comment on Videos with VideoReview. To learn more about ImageReview, please visit our help desk article ImageReview.
For any additional questions, please reach out to the Ci Customer Success Team by submitting a request here in the Help Center.